Thursday, May 25, 2006

Puzzle #1: Word Squares

I love games and puzzles. I'm reading a book right now on word games, and I thought it might be interesting to post some of the things I'm learning. The chapter I'm on right now is talking about word squares. A word square is a square grid of letters that spells out words going both across and down. For example, here's a simple 3 x 3 word square:

P A T
A C E
T E N

Word squares became popular in Britain in the mid-1800s. Someone eventually thought of adding clues to try to get the player to build a word square from the answers -- thus, word squares are the direct predecessors of the modern crossword. For instance, the following clues might be used for the above example:

1. A unit of butter
2. The highest card
3. Five twos

Bored at work? Try coming up with one. It will keep you occupied for at least several minutes. Hey, it's better brain exercise than checking ESPN.com for the twentieth time today...

PUZZLE #1:

1. Unpleasant sensation
2. Facial eruption
3. More than one B&B
4. Eagle's home

_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _

Post a comment if you have the answer!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

PAIN
ACNE
INNS
NEST

w00ts!

Cool entry :-)

Rita said...

Oh man, this made me laugh. Especially cuz I only got words two and four to start, but those made the other words unfold. Like watching invisible ink come to light.

Hilarious!