Thursday, October 05, 2006

South America: Day 1

Alas, I never got around to finishing my post on the fabulous Midwest Tour. You´ll just have to believe me that it was awesome. Whatever. I know you´re jealous.

I didn´t want to turn this into a travel blog, but I guess I´ll have to. At least for the next two and a half months or so. I´ll try to keep it to travel stories, how´s that?

Anyway. So it begins. Day One of my big adventure in South America.

Right now, I´m at an internet station in Jorge Chavez International Airport, in Lima, Peru. It is 3:11 a.m. local time (two hours ahead of PDT). Our connecting flight to the southern coastal city of Arequipa leaves in a few hours. The typing is slow-going. There´s an "ñ" where the semicolon is supposed to be. Heck, it took me fifteen seconds just to find the quotation marks for the previous sentence. I am exhausted yet excited, wary yet wide-eyed. Day One of eighty-five. Just saying it out loud gives me chills. The good kind.

I´m noticing that this computer has a USB port. So, I could conceivably upload a picture from my camera to my Flickr account and post it in this blog. My head is spinning.

This airport is great. The restaurants in the food court, the shops, and the internet station all stay open twenty-four hours. The main waiting area is clean and brightly lit. Now, if I can just stay awake until our flight leaves...

52

3 comments:

Julie said...

Or you can get a camera phone that uploads pictures and text to your Flickr account and automatically posts it to Blogger. That's what I did in London.

I love your description of the weird keyboard. I like hearing about how keyboards differ around the world.

The one time we used the Internet station in our London hotel, It took me a minute to find the colon. I don't know why it would be so different from American keyboards. English is English, right? But then I don't know why I would have needed a colon either...

Eat the Love said...

I am SO excited that you are actually posting again. And I actually finished my final MIDWEST TOUR post - which I will upload once I get photos posted up.

SOUTH AMERICA sounds SOOO FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! I can't wait for photos!

Rita said...

The hilarious thing was trying to figure out how to type that third character on each key. There's the regular character, and there's the "Shift" character shown above it. Then, to the right of the "Shift" character, there's a third character!! And it's always that third one that you need! Like the @ sign!!

Alt Gr. Once we figured this out (even though it didn't always work), we were happy to spread the knowledge to other lost travelers.